Back to News
Rescue Packs from GP Practice - Fake news
Posted on 23 Mar 2020
We are aware of posts on social media telling patients to ask for rescue packs - this is fake news
The advice from the prescribing team is that patients who have not previously had rescue packs should not have them issued for the following reasons:
· In patients with COVID – 19 infection we are not aware of any evidence of benefit from early prescription of steroids
· As COVID – 19 is a virus, antibiotics will not be of any benefit.
· GP practices and pharmacies are already working at capacity, additional requests for prescriptions for the ‘worried well’ cannot be supported.
· We need to protect the medicines supply chain.
· The best way for ‘at risk’ patients to protect themselves is to social distance as per government guidelines.
If you are in the very high risk category you will receive a letter this week advising you to self-isolate for 12 weeks.
· Patients who develop severe symptoms should use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service.