We are delighted to announce that we have recently been rated as Outstanding by CQC for the second time. Our first inspection took place in September 2015. Our second inspection was in May 2018.
All the staff at the surgery work very hard to deliver a high quality service to our patients and it is extremely pleasing to see that it has been recognised in this very public way. Below is a copy of the press release issued by CQC which contains a click through link to the report in detail on the CQC website
Stockwell Road Surgery, Knaresborough, rated as Outstanding by the CQC
The key questions are rated as:
Are services safe? – Good
Are services effective? – Good
Are services caring? – Outstanding
Are services responsive?–Outstanding
Are services well-led? - Outstanding
We carried out an announced comprehensive inspection at Stockwell Road Surgery on 9 May 2018, as part of our inspection programme.
At this inspection we found:
- The practice had clear systems to manage risk so that safety incidents were less likely to happen. When incidents did happen, the practice learned from them and improved their processes.
- The practice routinely reviewed the effectiveness and appropriateness of the care it provided. It ensured that care and treatment was delivered according to evidence- based guidelines.
- There was evidence of safe prescribing with reviews undertaken with those patients who were prescribed high risk medicines.
- Patients’ comments were positive regarding access to appointments and the service they received form practice staff.
- Staff involved and treated patients with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect.
- There was evidence of a cohesive practice team. Support and respect was shown by all members of staff towards one another.
- Patients found the appointment system easy to use and reported that they were able to access care when they needed it.
- There was a strong focus on continuous learning and improvement at all levels of the organisation.
- There was a range of inclusive meetings to ensure all staff were engaged and kept up to date.
- GP national survey results were consistently above local and national averages in all areas.
- The practice reviewed appointment availability throughout the day to ensure that same day appointments were available.
We saw three areas of outstanding practice:
- The practice availability of appointments was intensively monitored constantly to ensure same day appointments were always available. Patients reported they could always access same day appointments as a result of the appointment system.
- The practice had a comprehensive Audit programme across a range of service areas to monitor and improve patients care. The programme was managed so that two or more cycles were evident in more than 10 Audit areas enabling better management of risk.
- The practice engaged with academic institutions and participated in significant research programmes for the benefit of its own patients and the wider population. Their contribution to clinical care was recognised by the local medical school.
The full report from our inspection in 2018 can be read here: https://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-541861210
The report from our CQC inspection in 2015 is as follows:
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has found the quality of care provided by Stockwell Road Surgery in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, to be Outstanding following an inspection in September 2015.
Under CQC’s programme of inspections, all of England’s GP practices are being given a rating according to whether they are safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led. Stockwell Road Surgery was rated Outstanding for being caring and responsive to people’s needs, and Outstanding for the services provided to all population groups.
The inspection team, which included a GP and a practice nurse as specialist advisors, rated the services provided by Stockwell Road Surgery as Outstanding overall.
A full report of the inspection has been published on the CQC website at: http://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-541861210 and for your convenience can be downloaded here
The surgery located on Stockwell Road, Knaresborough in North Yorkshire, serves over 6,700 patients.
The report highlights a number of areas of outstanding practice, including:
- Most of the patients at a local care home were patients of the practice. A GP partner visited the home weekly and had put in place a system of patient review on a rotating basis to provide access to services without the need for prior appointment.
- Staff at the practice worked with the local Clinical Commissioning Group to develop ways of improving outcomes for patients and overcome health care obstacles in the community
- The practice had put in place a comprehensive and closely monitored appointment system to ensure patients could access appointments when they needed them. They could demonstrate the impact of this by lower than national average emergency admissions, attendance at Accident and emergency (A&E) and feedback from patients
- Inspectors received positive feedback from patients about their care and treatment. Staff were highly motivated and inspired to offer compassionate care that promoted people’s dignity. They were acutely aware of people’s personal, cultural, social and religious needs.
Sue McMillan, Deputy Chief Inspector of General Practice in the North, said:
“It is clear Stockwell Road Surgery is providing a highly caring and responsive service which a real asset to the people living in this part of North Yorkshire.
Feedback from patients was overwhelmingly positive and many commented that they felt they felt listened to and fully involved in decisions about their treatment.
We found that the practice displayed an excellent understanding of the differing needs of their patients and acted on these needs in the planning and delivery of its services. There was a clear leadership structure and staff felt supported by management.
Staff demonstrated a commitment to help support patients to live healthier lives and drive continuous improvements in the outcomes for patients.
All of this hard work pays off in making a real difference for their patients.
This is a great example of what outstanding care looks like.”